WorkForce West Virginia provides companies with unemployment processing assistance. Employers can register businesses, file quarterly wage reports, make contributions and delinquent payments, and register for electronic submission of separation information.

Find answers to your questions.


Online employer services

WorkForce West Virginia provides West Virginia employers with access to an online unemployment compensation employer contribution system. Not familiar with this service? Sign-up today.



The Unemployment Compensation Employer System allows employers to:

  • File wage reports and pay unemployment compensation contributions online with ACH debit. Third Party Administrators can file electronically and pay through ACH credit.

    For ACH credit information, please contact:

    This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

  • Pay delinquent contributions online with ACH debit.
  • Register for the State Information Data Exchange System (SIDES). SIDES is a new web based system that allows electronic transmission of unemployment compensation information requests from unemployment agencies to multi-state employers and/or third party administrators, as well as transmission of replies containing requested information back to the agencies.

Important reminders

  • Users with ACH debit blocks need to contact their financial institution to inform them of a new company identification number: 1556000814. Payments will appear on your bank statements as WV Treasury
  • You will need your Account Number and FEIN to file online.
  • When entering your account number, you do not have to enter the zeroes when logging in. Do not enter dashes. If you enter the dashes, you will receive a message that your number is not found.
  • FEIN: This is your federal employer identification number. When entering this number, also do not enter dashes.
Here are some useful tips to help you with your resume.
  • A resume should be kept to one page, two at the most.
  • Your resume should be a reflection of your skills, ability, education and work history.
    • Make sure the employer can see within the top 1/3 of the page that you have the specific skills and qualifications required for the position.
  • Employers are interested in your accomplishments – describe what you have accomplished throughout your career or in previous jobs.
  • List relevant contact information so they employer will know how to reach you with questions and to set up an interview.
  • Use an appropriate email address, even if you have to create new account.
    • For example, This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. is not appropriate. Your initials with your last name would be a better choice.
  • Always be honest. Lying on your resume could have serious consequences and result in termination, if hired for the position under false pretenses.
  • Always check grammar, spelling and capitalization. Ask one or two people you trust to review your resume and recommend changes.


For detailed instructions on how to register:

To expedite the registration process, all forms should be completed and signed. Completed forms should be submitted by fax or email

(304) 558-1324

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.


Downloadable forms


Employer compliance letters

State law mandates employers must be in compliance with the Unemployment Compensation provisions before other government agencies can issue or re- new most licenses or permits. Examples include contractor’s licenses, business registration certificates, liquor and lottery retail sales licenses, and timbering permits.

To receive a certificate of good standing, you must be registered with Unemployment Compensation, and your account must be in good standing. All reports previously due must have been filed, and all monies due based on those reports, including any interest and/or penalties assessed for paying the taxes late, must have been paid.

To receive a Compliance Letter, contact the Compliance and Enforcement Unit by phone between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. or by email.

(304) 558-1324

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.


Benefits poster

Download a copy of the Unemployment Compliance Benefits Poster which provides information on weekly benefit rates based on wages. The poster is 8 and 1/2 inches by 14 inches landscape orientation.


Wage reporter

This program will produce the Unemployment Compensation Wage Report as either a printed report or an acceptable diskette.

This program will NOT create the Unemployment Compensation Contribution Report

Instructions & Troubleshooting


Downloading the Wage Reporter Program from the Internet

Install the Bar Code Font

Wage Reporter Program Manual

Download the Bar Code Font



Employer violators list

For more information, please visit


Defaulted accounts

For more information, please visit

  • Salutation – Address the letter to a specific person. Try to refrain from using Dear Sir/Madam or To whom it may concern.
  • Introduction – Begin the letter by telling the employer what position you are applying for and how you heard about the opening.
  • Body – The body of the letter should tell the employer why you are a good fit for the position. Give examples of your talents, but do not repeat your resume.
  • Closing – In closing, request an interview and your willingness to answer any additional questions the employer may have.
  • Signature – Sign the letter boldly with blue ink to show the employer the letter isn’t a photocopy.


Frequently asked questions
  • How do I register my business to establish a West Virginia Unemployment Compensation account?
    You can register online at, complete the Employer’s Initial Statement which can be downloaded on this site under registration forms or contact the Status Determination Unit at (304) 558-2677 and the application can be mailed to you.
  • How do I find out what my rate is?
    Information concerning employer contribution rates can be obtained by calling the Contribution Receipts Unit of our Unemployment Compensation Division at (304) 558-2676 or (304) 558-2233. Most new employers begin with a rate of 2.7%. This rate remains the same for 36 consecutive months ending on June 30. At that time the rate is calculated according to the experience of the account. An employer who acquires an existing business inherits the contribution rate of that account. An out-of-state construction company begins with a rate of 8.5%.
  • How much do I owe?
    Every liable employer in the state is identified by an account number. The amount owed and quarters in which monies are due is based on your particular account. Active employers are reminded on their quarterly report forms if they have a balance due. To obtain information in regard to an outstanding balance, an employer may contact the Compliance and Enforcement Unit at (304) 558-2451 or email them at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. A breakdown of contributions, penalties and interest can also be provided. In the event the outstanding monies due have been referred to the Legal Services Division for collection, you will be directed to call that division at (304) 558-3403.
  • Can I pay delinquent monies online?
    Payments can be made online at
  • Can the penalty/interest be forgiven?
    The Unemployment Compensation Law has no provision for the waiver of penalties or interest.
  • Where can I get UC forms?
    You may obtain registration forms on this website or by calling the Status Determination Unit at (304) 558-2677. Quarterly reporting forms can be obtained on this website or by contacting the Compliance and Enforcement Unit at (304) 558-2451 or (304) 558-1818.
  • How do I receive a letter of good standing?
    To obtain a letter of good standing you may contact the Compliance & Enforcement unit at (304) 558-2451 or by e-mail at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
  • How do I file an amended return? I overpaid on the Employer Contribution. I failed to deduct the excess wages.
    You can make a copy of the original contribution report, change the figures and mark the report amended. Mail this to Unemployment Compensation Division, Contribution Accounting Section, P.O. Box 106, Charleston, WV 25321-0106. If no money is due from the amended return, it may be faxed to (304) 558-1324.
  • What wages are taxable? Are 125 cafeteria contributions included or excluded from taxable wage?
    Contributions to a 125 cafeteria plans are considered wages and are reportable on the wage and contribution reports. Learn more about wage and contribution reports in the Employer Handbook.
  • Our company is currently paying quarterly State Unemployment Tax by check and we are wondering if there is a possibility to change the payment method to EFT/ACH (credit).
    Payment may be made by check or by ACH debit through our online filing system at At this time, only Third Party Administrators may use ACH credit as a payment type.
  • Where can I find the West Virginia legislative code on Unemployment Compensation?
    The legislative code can be found here

If you have additional employer questions, email

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.